[OS X TeX] Fwd: A better word processor than Word, Google Docs, or LaTeX for writing research

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Wed May 13 08:06:30 EDT 2015

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 7:19 AM, Alain Schremmer <schremmer.alain at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I thought MathJaX was only displaying Math LaTeX. For instance, as Ivrii
> noted, it "does not understand \intertext". But yes, I have tried other
> things before and, as you say, MathJaX is "truly amazing".

I have not realized that Authorea uses MathJax.

Yes, MJ has no ambition to display anything but math snippets. \intertext
does not work due to lack of MathML support for this as internal engine is
MathML (explanation from Davide Cervone). However in MJ one can control the
this. It seems that it puts everything under the hood.

MJ does not do any tables, graphics, tocs, … — everything but math snippets
is done externally (but it supports chemical formulae and commutative
diagrams with correct modules loaded).

MJ definitely rules webpages and has great perspectives for epub and
similar formats which value reflow rather than fidelity. But prefer to use
it in the framework of Markdown with an export to html (and export + post
processing to latex). Mou http://25.io/mou/ is a nice little markdown
editor/previewer (which however lacks true synchronization—but so far I
have not seen any markdown editor/previewer which has it). For other format
conversions I use pandoc http://pandoc.org

The authors of Authorea should be more modest, IMHO

--

Victor Ivrii