[OS X TeX] AlphaX and path

Christopher Skeels Chris.Skeels at unimelb.edu.au
Mon Nov 2 13:27:34 EST 2015

On 3/11/2015 5:11 am, "MacOSX-TeX on behalf of Herbert Schulz"
<macosx-tex-bounces at email.esm.psu.edu on behalf of herbs at wideopenwest.com>
wrote:

>> On Nov 2, 2015, at 11:10 AM, John Burt <burt at brandeis.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Here's what I did. Open a blank document. Change the mode to TeX mode.
>>(Alternatively, open a TeX document). go to File/TeX Mode Prefs. Open
>>the typesetting pane. Replace the text in the Default Command field with
>>/Library/TeX/texbin/pdflatex
>>
>> John Burt
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 8:04 AM, Michael Hoppe <mh at michael-hoppe.de>
>>wrote:
>> Dear TeXers,
>>
>> I¹m using AlphaX for years.  I¹ve adjusted the Extra Exec Path in the
>>Global Preferences to /Library/TeX/texbin and AlphaX finds the programs,
>>but it seems that AlphaX resolves that link: every time I quit AlpaX and
>>restart it the console reads
>>
>>      /bin/sh: line 1: pdflatex: command not found
>>
>> So I have to enter the path for the executables again at every start of
>>AlphaX.  Am I doing something wrong?
>>
>> Michael
>
>Howdy,
>
>What about all the other commands (bibtex, makeindex, etc.)? Do you have
>to do each one?
>
>Good Luck,
>
>Herb Schulz
>(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

I think you¹ll find that that selecting the menu item AlphaX>Global
Setup>Helper ApplicationsŠ, going to TeX/LaTeX pane (just in the Basic
options is enough), and then setting the 'Typeset a file¹ helper app to
Alpha-TeX will take care of a Mac-TeX installation just fine, using all
the relevant binaries.  You may have to set some other Helper Apps such as
Excalibur or a Diff engine if you use them, as I do, but that should cover
most things.  Set the Default  Command to pdflatex (or latex, or whatever
you want) in AlphaX>TeX Mode Prefs in the Typesetting pane and you should
be good to go.  Of course, if you use CMacTeX or OzTeX then the
configuration is slightly different.  While not perfect, the Help file for
TeX mode was given a substantial overhaul a few years back and this is
covered in there.

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Chris.