[OS X TeX] Texmaker vs. TexShop

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Nov 9 07:26:36 EST 2015

> On Nov 9, 2015, at 5:07 AM, Jutta Wrage <jw at witch.westfalen.de> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> Looked like it hasn't been a good idea by me to make TexShop default again after updating TexLive.
>
> TexShop ist using OpenGL which tends to heat up graphic cards and maybe kill them.
>
> Apple replaced my board but now I want to have the defaults back to texmaker, where needed.
> As TexShop has endless list of Utis, extensions et al. claiming for I want to know , where to get a list of all extensions/UTIs/Mime types etc. makings sense to be changed to texmaker for opening.
>
> I have installed the extension for file association in system prefs here. But is there something faster to change things, maybe?
>
> Another thing I wonder about: when installing Tex for Mac first time, I did not get texmaker to compile any of my tex files. After latest update from TexLive CD this has changed. No clue why.
>
> Jutta

Howdy,

After installing the extension for file association did you click the `Change All…' button? What else are you looking for? If you want .sty and .cls files to open in TeXmaker do the same there. It certainly doesn't take long to do.

By the way, I and lots of other folks, from the lack of complaints on this list, have never had a problem from TeXShop heating up graphics cars and possibly killing them. Why are you so sure what happened is from use of TeXShop? Not only that, TeXShop is built using the Cocoa Frameworks so it uses what ever they use and I'm pretty sure Apple isn't trying to burn out graphics cards.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)