[OS X TeX] convert .dvi to .pdf

Alan Bowen bowenalan03 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 22:46:22 EST 2015

Hi, Herb—

I have downloaded the Basic TeX package and installed it along with
Ghostscript.

When I run
(a) dvipdf SciPhil_Ch_01-02.dvi
I get
dvips: warning: no config file for `pdf'
dvips: ! Couldn't find header file: tex.pro
(There is a SciPhil_Ch_01-02.pdf but it is a blank page)

(b) dvipdfm SciPhil_Ch_01-02.dvi
I get
SciPhil_Ch_01-02.dvi -> SciPhil_Ch_01-02.pdf
[1
dvipdfmx:fatal: Unable to find TFM file "Times-Roman".
Output file removed.

(c) opening the .dvi file with TeXShop does not produce a .pdf file.

I notice that there was no installation of a \TeX Distribution" data
structure
in /Library/TeX, or a new \TeX Distribution Control Panel" in /Library/
PreferencePanes.

Alan