[OS X TeX] epstopdf: command not found

Nicolae Garleanu garleanu at berkeley.edu
Sat Nov 21 12:36:14 EST 2015

The embarrassing resolution was that the package was not even installed.. I don't understand why I didn't get an error as I normally get in that case. Maybe because, due to the "update" option, package is only loaded when needed, and I never needed it until now since installing the new TL? I had thought that packages are loaded before the document is processed, but maybe not with this option? That was only a guess anyway.

Nicolae

sent from my phone

> On Nov 21, 2015, at 5:05 AM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>

> On Nov 21, 2015, at 12:44 AM, Nicolae Garleanu <garleanu at berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I don’t know how long I have had this issue ― most likely since I installed the latest TexLive and Basic Tex a few months ago ― but I can no longer use the epstopdf package. I get an error as in the subject line "epstopdf: command not found”. I went on line immediately to look for solutions, and came across various pieces that seemed to blame either Yosemite (although I am sure epstopdf did work earlier with Yosemite) or XQuartz (e.g., http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/207754/error-using-epstopdf-package) ― I updated XQuartz, then removed the program (uninstalled, I believe) and reinstalled, no change. I can’t say I really understood all these pieces, either.
>
> Has anybody on this list experienced this type of issue?
>
> I am running TL2015, having downloaded Basic Tex, with TS 3.52 (though I am sure this has nothing to do with TS). I run pdflatex, as I have been for years without a problem.
>
> Thank you.
> Nicolae

Howdy,

Does the command

which epstopdf

executed in Terminal return

/Library/TeX/texbin/epstopdf

as it should?

If so you should install the Ghostscript package. It's available near the bottom of the same page as BasicTeX, <http://www.tug.org/mactex/morepackages.html>. Ghostscript is used by epostopdf to do the conversion.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)