[OS X TeX] Install fail

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Sep 3 12:55:57 EDT 2015

> On Sep 3, 2015, at 11:38 AM, John Burt <burt at brandeis.edu> wrote:
>
> And here are the results:
>
> [C07H5099DJD2:~] burt% echo $PATH
>
> :/Library/TeX/texbin/usr/sbin
>
> [C07H5099DJD2:~] burt% echo $path
>
>  /Library/TeX/texbin/usr/sbin

Howdy,

That's not right!

Are there no separators between the path elements? I'd expect

echo $PATH

to give

/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/Library/TeX/texbin:/usr/local/bin

and

echo $path

to give

/bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin /Library/TeX/texbin /usr/local/bin

so if you have no separators at all and are missing some of those items you must have a file somewhere that's messing things up. Please run

ls -alF ~

and let us know what you get.

> On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 12:36 PM, John Burt <burt at brandeis.edu> wrote:
> Thank you very much!
>
> Here is bashrc:
>
> [C07H5099DJD2:~] burt% cat /etc/bashrc
>
> # System-wide .bashrc file for interactive bash(1) shells.
>
> if [ -z "$PS1" ]; then
>
>    return
>
> fi
>

> PS1='\h:\W \u\$ '
>
> # Make bash check its window size after a process completes
>
> shopt -s checkwinsize
>
> # Tell the terminal about the working directory at each prompt.
>
> if [ "$TERM_PROGRAM" == "Apple_Terminal" ] && [ -z "$INSIDE_EMACS" ]; then
>
>     update_terminal_cwd() {
>
>         # Identify the directory using a "file:" scheme URL,
>
>         # including the host name to disambiguate local vs.
>
>         # remote connections. Percent-escape spaces.
>
> local SEARCH=' '
>
> local REPLACE='%20'
>
> local PWD_URL="file://$HOSTNAME${PWD//$SEARCH/$REPLACE}"
>
> printf '\e]7;%s\a' "$PWD_URL"
>
>     }
>
>     PROMPT_COMMAND="update_terminal_cwd; $PROMPT_COMMAND"
>
> fi
>

> and here is csh.cshrc:
>

> # System-wide .cshrc file for csh(1).
>

> if ($?prompt) then
>
> set promptchars = "%#"
>
> if ($?tcsh) then
>
> set prompt = "[%m:%c3] %n%# "
>
> else
>
> set prompt = "[%m:%c3] `id -nu`%# "
>
> endif
>

> endif

Both of those are the default versions wo no problem there.

Also, I'd like to change your shell from tcsh to bash. Could you let me know what you have set in Terminal->Preferences General Tab for `Shells open with:'? If it's set to Command and that reads /bin/tcsh please check `Default login shell'.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)