[OS X TeX] Umlauts won't print

Luis Sequeira lfsequeira at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 17:05:50 EDT 2015

> Good morning. I am working with TexShop 3.52 under OS 10.10.5. Since I
> upgraded and updated, my old documents are giving me trouble. With this
> preamble:
>

> \documentclass[article,twoside,a4paper]{memoir}
> \usepackage[applemac]{inputenc}
> \usepackage[german]{babel}
> \usepackage{graphicx}
> \usepackage{booktabs}
> \usepackage{amsmath}
> \usepackage{memhfixc}
> \usepackage{pdfsync}
> \usepackage{wrapfig}
> \settocdepth{subsection}
> \pagestyle{plain}
> \begin{document}
>

> letters with umlauts either do not appear (oddly enough, not even in the
> source) or do so in a variety of apparently arbitrarily forms like ~n
> instead o ?, ? instead of ? and I hope this will show correctly in this
> mail. I looked for but did not find a solution. Probably the magic words
> have changed. Is there any helping wizard?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Manuel

Files are most likely being opened or saved using a different encoding. Your preamble calls inputenc using the applemac option (that corresponds to the "Mac OS Roman” encoding, which was the usual in classic Mac OS).

The preferred encoding is UTF-8 Unicode, which would be invoked in your preamble with

  \usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}

Another common encoding would be Windows Latin 1:

  \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}

Luis Sequeira