[OS X TeX] puzzled with syncTeX

Themis Matsoukas tmatsoukas at icloud.com
Tue Sep 29 14:07:18 EDT 2015

This is bit complicated to explain but I will try.

I’m working on a document in current_folder/source.tex but I keep an older version in  backup_folder/source.tex. I open backup_folder/source.tex in TS, which also opens backup_folder/source.pdf. But when I command-click on the pdf to edit the source,  this opens current_folder/source.tex and current_folder/source.pdf. I did not expect this behavior and until I realized I was editing the wrong file some damage had been done. Is this the intended behavior? I would have thought that syncTeX looks for source and output in the same folder but apparently sometimes it looks outside. This doesn’t happen always and in fact, after I typeset both files once more they now seem to sync to their respective sources. But it has happened before and it was happening reproducibly until I typeset again.

Themis