[OS X TeX] \langle does not display as such in the Index

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Feb 1 15:57:41 EST 2016

> On Feb 1, 2016, at 11:43 AM, Alain Schremmer <schremmer.alain at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On , at 2016 Feb 1,11:50 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

>>> <MakeindedVsShowindexESSENTIAL.tex.zip>
>>>>

>>> The Index is indeed beautiful but, sometimes, the protection racket can be too expensive: look at the margin entries. ;-))
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> --schremmer
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I see the “ instead of the \ but I see that for the \cup and \cap too and they haven't been re-defined so that has nothing to do with the \protect.
>
> Confusing, isn't it? Take a look at the attached NEXT. Hope it's ... simpler.
>

> <MakeindedVsShowindexNEXT.pdf>
>
> Best regards
> --schremmer

Howdy,

I haven't looked at showidx.sty or how the information is passed to that package. It seems that the definition of \INDEX will reset the definition of \( and \) on each execution; I took those out and then the definition of \INDEX simply becomes

\newcommand{\INDEX}[1]{\index{#1]}

which seems like it's doing nothing but \newcommand seems to build a better protected definition.

Also note that Heiko's magic seems to load showidx in a special way so you shouldn't load it separately.