[OS X TeX] Skim badware?

Stefan Evert stefanML at collocations.de
Mon Feb 8 02:04:57 EST 2016

> On 7 Feb 2016, at 19:35, Alain Schremmer <schremmer.alain at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Skim is not malware, and the code is available for review if anyone suspects otherwise. Sourceforge itself has become a cesspool, unfortunately, and I assume that's what the blocker is saying. I would not recommend installing via cnet, though.
>
> Somehow, I had a feeling.

The SourceForge download for Skim seems perfectly fine.  As far as I have understood the matter, SF project admins can _opt in_ to have their downloads wrapped in an installer that does a few nasty things along the way. At least up to this point, SF don't seem to do it all on their own without consent.

You can recognize the installers if you look closely, but I agree it's a risk for inexperienced users.  My rule of thumb: if the disk image contains an app that you simply drag to the Applications folder, it's probably fine – if you have to click to install, I become suspicious.

Best,
Stefan