[OS X TeX] Skim badware?

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at me.com
Mon Feb 8 22:11:16 EST 2016

> On Feb 8, 2016, at 11:10 , Alain Schremmer <Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 4. As for what I will do, as I mentioned before, someone sent me Skim and I am now waiting for word from the authors that it is ok for me to put it on my site for download. In the meantime, what would you suggest I do?

Assuming I'm still listed as an author, I don't have a problem with this, and you're certainly free to do so under the BSD license.

> 5, Would *you* let me recommend to my students---or to anyone else for that matter--- that they get it from Source Forge?

I would recommend getting it from Sourceforge. Any version you redistribute is coming from Sourceforge anyway, even if you download the source and recompile it. Other download sites just add another level of indirection and another possible scam attempt, as far as I'm concerned.

Skim is codesigned, so any attempt to modify it will break the signature, and should give you a warning message. Last I checked, it was also distributed as an application on a disk image, so there's no opportunity for an attacker to embed malware in the installer…because there is no installer!

Adam