[OS X TeX] Do you have `make`?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Jan 2 11:43:34 EST 2016

> On Jan 2, 2016, at 10:25 AM, Adriano Pascoletti <adriano.pascoletti at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> OS X El Capitan v 10.11.2 (no XCode)
>
> /usr/bin/make
>
> GNU Make 3.81
>
> Copyright (C) 2006  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>
> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
>
> There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
>
> PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
>

> This program built for i386-apple-darwin11.3.0
>

> Adriano Pascoletti

> Howdy,
>
> I wonder if the `make` utility is supplied with Macs by default (i.e., that have never had XCode installed and run). Especially under Yosemite or El Capitan.
>
> Only bother if you have NEVER installed and executed XCode! If so please run
>
> which make
>
> in Terminal. It will return
>
> /usr/bin/make
>
> if it is there and nothing if you don't have it.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Howdy,

Thanks... that's good to know.

Did you update to El Capitan from a previous OS version or is this a `virgin' El Capitan? If you updated did you ever have XCode installed on the system? What does

ls -alF /usr/bin/make

return when run in Terminal?

The reason I ask all of this is that doing a fresh install of cocoAspell under Yosemite and El Capitan seemed to require copying dictionaries from a previously installed system. However, Thaddeus Perala has given us a way to do a fresh install of cocoAspell under those systems but it uses the `make` utility. I want to find out if `make` exists on fresh Yosemite and El Capitan systems.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)