[OS X TeX] TeXShop prefs problem.

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Jun 3 07:26:28 EDT 2016

> On Jun 2, 2016, at 7:48 PM, Justin C. Walker <justin at mac.com> wrote:

>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> Did you try it with the ``old fashioned'' separate window mode?
>>>
>>> Good Luck,
>>>
>>> Herb Schulz
>>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I'm also curious about whether your setting for TeXSuop->Preferences->Typesetting has `Bring Preview Forward' or `Continue Editing' set in the AFter Typesetting section.
>
> As I tried to imply in my email, I did try the "old fashioned way" before mailing.  Also, I have "Continue Editing" set.
>
> However, I have now tried so many variations on this theme that I can no longer reproduce exactly what I was seeing.
>
> First, keep in mind that OS X 10.11 has a *lot* of caching going on behind the scenes, so it's hard to tell what's real and "what's Memorex"[1].  In particular the prefs files don't necessarily reflect reality.

Howdy,

If you change a preference from within TeXShop it should get saved immediately and the caching shouldn't matter. I believe that's also true if you change one of the hidden preferences using the `defaults ...` method. If you change a preference setting by editing the TeXShop.plist file in ~/Library/Preferences directly the change will get overwritten unless you immediately run

defaults read ~/Library/Preferences/TeXShop.plist

so that the saved file is copied to the cache.

> I am still having the issue of the *setting* of console behavior sticking across relaunches.  The setting sticks as long as I don't quit TeXShop, but the behavior of the console is bizarre.
>
> I am now seeing this for console behavior:
> - if there's a real error, the window pops up and stays until dismissed.
> - Otherwise, it appears that the one/two window mode does affect behavior
>  but it's tricky to nail down without keeping notes (which I'm not) (yet).
> - The "preview behavior" setting also seems to have an effect, and again,
>  it's tricky...
> - I have seen, but can't reliably reproduce, the console window pop up and
>  go away while compiling, both in one-wondow and separated window mode (with
>  the console window obscured at the start of compilation.  This is with no
>  compile errors.

I've never see that behavior... it goes away in the middle of compiling? Of course I have TeXShop->Preferences->Console->Show Console set to `always', TeXShop->Preferences->Typesetting->After Typesetting set to `Bring Preview Forward' and Use Separate Windows (i.e., the old fashioned mode).

> At this point, I feel like I'm in the cave, with the Wumpus hot on my trail...
>
> Justin
>
> [1] you have to be of a certain age to know what that means.

I'm certainly old enough to understand the comment. I even like my Finder windows without frills and set up so Double Clicking a folder opens a new window. Very old school.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)