[OS X TeX] How tell MacTeX 2016 about fonts in user tree?

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 15:14:01 EDT 2016

Herbert Schulz wrote
>> On Jun 7, 2016, at 12:22 PM, Murray Eisenberg <

> murrayeisenberg@

> > wrote:
>>
>> OK, I ran just `updmap`, with following results:
>>
>> updmap will read the following updmap.cfg files (in precedence order):
>>  /Users/murray/Library/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
>>  /usr/local/texlive/2016/texmf-dist/web2c/updmap.cfg
>> updmap may write changes to the following updmap.cfg file:
>>  /Users/murray/Library/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
>> dvips output dir:
>> "/Users/murray/Library/texlive/2016/texmf-var/fonts/map/dvips/updmap"
>> pdftex output dir:
>> "/Users/murray/Library/texlive/2016/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap"
>> dvipdfmx output dir:
>> "/Users/murray/Library/texlive/2016/texmf-var/fonts/map/dvipdfmx/updmap"
>> updmap [ERROR]: The following map file(s) couldn't be found:
>> updmap [ERROR]: 	ztmsc.map (in
>> /Users/murray/Library/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg)
>> updmap [ERROR]: Did you run mktexlsr?
>>
>> 	You can disable non-existent map entries using the option
>> 	  --syncwithtrees.
>
> Have you changed fonts? Do you have a ztmsc.map file somewhere (wrong
> place)? I don't know what font that is for but I'm guessing it has
> something to do with Small Caps for the ztm font. Does the
> ~/Library/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg file exist and what are its contents?

(1) Contents of ~/Library/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg:

Map lucida.map
Map mtpro2.map
Map wolfram.map
#! Map pdfwolfram.map
Map mathpi.map
Map MinionPro.map
Map zgm.map
Map ugm.map
Map ua1.map
Map uop.map
Map dayroman.map
Map zpeu.map
Map ulg.map
Map ul9.map
Map webo.map
Map ztmsc.map

(2) The font in question is indeed Adobe Times Small Caps (for which I have
the Adobe-furnished font files).

(3) I have made utterly no change whatsoever to my fonts since the last
time, with MacTeX/TexLive 2015, that I updated packages by running the TeX
Live Utility (with its preference set to automatically enable fonts in my
home directory.

(4) I do NOT find a file `ztmsc.map` anywhere. But this has not changed
since running the 2015 Tex Live Utility.

(5) I do not have any directory  `~/Library/texlive/2016` such as is
mentioned in the output from my running `updmap` manually after upgrading to
MacTeX 2016. And so no subdirectories
`~/Library/texlive/2016/texmf-var/fonts/map/dvips`, etc.

(6) The problem is doubtless related to the issue described in the thread
beginning at
      http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/2014-August/052776.html
but I again I note that I have made no changes to fonts myself since
upgrading from 2015 to 2016 (other than manually running `updmap` per
suggestion)