[OS X TeX] [WARNING - NOT VIRUS SCANNED] Re: Trouble with Tikz and Edit -> Experiment...

Don Green Dragon fergdc at Shaw.ca
Fri Mar 11 20:15:48 EST 2016

Hello Herb,

Glad to read that you have no problem with the TikZ code. Agustin Valverde pin-pointed my problem and by following his advice my concern has vanished.

My TeX Shop and TeX Live seem to be up to date, but, the operating system is still at Mavericks 10.9.5!

Thank you for replying.

On 11Mar2016, at 6:11 AM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

>> On Mar 10, 2016, at 11:36 PM, Don Green Dragon <fergdc at Shaw.ca> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Perhaps this should be sent to a different list, but I’ll try here first. I cannot get the \foreach command to work properly while using Edit -> Experiment….  For example, the code
>>
>> \begin{tikzpicture}
>> \foreach \n in {1,2,3,4,5}
>> 	\fill [red] (\n, 0) circle (2pt);
>> \end{tikzpicture}
>>
>> executes properly and shows the expected five red discs whether I typeset from the source file with the Typeset button at the upper-left of the TeXShop window or whether I open «Edit -> Experiment…»  and then hit the Typeset key at lower-right of the «Edit -> Experiment» window.
>>
>> However, if the code is
>>
>> \begin{tikzpicture}
>> \foreach \n in {1,...,5}
>> 	\fill [red] (\n, 0) circle (2pt);
>> \end{tikzpicture}
>>
>> then it typesets properly from TeXShop’s upper-left Typeset button but NOT when the code is typeset from the «Edit -> Experiment…»  window. It certainly would be useful (to me) if it worked properly when working with Edit -> Experiment as I use {tikzpicture} a great deal.
>>
>> In other words, Edit -> Experiment… requires (it seems) that the list of `values’ be explicit not implied. For example,
>>
>> \foreach \n \in {1,2,3,4,5}
>>
>> is explicit whereas
>>
>> \foreach \n  in {1,…,5}
>>
>> is implicit. I don’t know whether the problem lies with the Tikz code or the coding related to the functioning of Edit -> Experiment….
>>
>> I have found Edit -> Experiment… to be  amazingly useful. Wonderful! Splendid!
>>
>> don green dragon
>> fergdc at shaw.ca
>
> Howdy,
>
> Hmmm... I'm not having a problem. I put
>
> \begin{tikzpicture}
> \foreach \n in {1,2,3,4,5}
> 	\fill [red] (\n, 0) circle (2pt);
> \end{tikzpicture}
>
> into a document and it typesets fine. I Copy/Paste into the Edit->Experiment… window and press its typeset button and all is fine. I then change the \foreach range to {1,...,5} and press the Edit->Experiment… window's typeset button and all is fine.
>
> I'm using a fully up to date TeX Live 2015 (although that shouldn't matter) and TeXShop 3.61.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

don green dragon