[OS X TeX] TeXShop: how get console contents in text file?

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Sat Oct 1 04:37:44 EDT 2016

Hello Justin and others,

On 01/10/2016, at 13:17, "Justin C. Walker" <justin at mac.com> wrote:

> On Sep 30, 2016, at 18:17 , Murray Eisenberg wrote:
>
>> When processing a .tex source with TeXShop (using, say, pdflatexmk “engine”), what I see in the console is NOT what’s written to the .log file, e.g., error messages. So when I open the log file (with File > Show log) I do not see those messages.
>
> It helps us if you provide a bit more detail.  In particular, the versions of TeXShop and the OS.
>
>> What file do they go to, and how may I readily access it?
>
> The log file should reflect what you see in the console window.

No.
The .log  file includes all that is written to the console window, but it also has a lot more.
It has always been this way, with TeX and other Unix/Linux software.

There is not a file that has *only* what is written to the console.
Actually, this would be a good addition to TeXShop, to write such a file to disk also.
And then remove it, with the 'clean-up aux files' request — which, BTW I never use, since it is so important to be able to consult the .log file, even years after the document was last processed.

> There have been some changes in Sierra that affect some logging functions, but I have not used the new OS so I can't say for sure whether this is change is limited to system logging.
>
> On systems up through 10.11, I do not see what you are seeing though.
>
> The log file is usually in the same directory as the .tex file.  For example, if that is /path/to/foo.tex, the log file will be /path/to/foo.log.
>
> HTH
>
> Justin
>
> --
> Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large
> Director
> Institute for the Enhancement of the Director's Income
> If you don't know where you're going,
> you might wind up someplace else.
>   - Yogi Berra
> --