[OS X TeX] ! No room for a new \count .

Martin Bergren martin.berggren at cs.umu.se
Tue Oct 11 06:51:25 EDT 2016

> On 11 Oct 2016, at 02:38, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 10, 2016, at 7:07 PM, Themis Matsoukas <tmatsoukas at icloud.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Oct 10, 2016, at 11:29 AM, Joseph Wright <joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> The problem is mtpro2.sty, which is doing
>>>
>>>  \alloc at 0\count\countdef\insc at unt\pointcount@
>>>
>>> i.e. directly using \alloc@ rather than using \newcount. The 'classical'
>>> pool *is* exhausted in your example, so this fails. The etex package
>>> alters the definition of \alloc@, whereas the new LaTeX kernel approach
>>> uses a separate \ealloc@ macro.
>>>
>>> This will need to be addressed in mtpro2.sty.
>>>

>> I use mtpro2.sty a lot (it is the default font of my documents) - does this mean that it will be broken in mactex 2016?
>>
>> Themis
>

> Howdy,
>
> First, are you using pdflatex or xelatex? If the former there is no problem, if the latter I think using the etex package may `fix' things up from what was said.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

I use mtpro2.sty all the time, and I can confirm that pdflatex is no problem for MacTex 2016. For lualatex and xelatex there seems to be a problem when too many packages are loaded, but \usepackage{etex} seems to fix it.

Martin Berggren
Department of Computing Science, Umeå Universitet
Campustorget 5, S-901 87 Umeå, Sweden. Ph: +46-70-732 8111
http://www.cs.umu.se/~martinb <http://www.cs.umu.se/~martinb>, Martin.Berggren at cs.umu.se <mailto:Martin.Berggren at cs.umu.se>