[OS X TeX] Sierra 10.12.4

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Apr 4 12:06:26 EDT 2017

> On Apr 4, 2017, at 10:48 AM, Néstor E. Aguilera <nestoreaguilera at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The following pdf opens a blank document in Preview and hangs with Skim, but there is no problem with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC or QuickView (in Finder).
>
>   https://mitpress.mit.edu/sites/default/files/titles/content/9780262661829_sch_0001.pdf
>
> Would that be caused by the images?
>
> Nestor

Howdy,

I assume you've updated to macOS 10.12.4. There seems to be a bug in PDFKit in that version of macOS that can actually crash Preview/TeXShop/Skim.

Please look at your source file and see if you are typesetting using pdflatex and the file has a \usepackage{pstricks} command. If you are actually using pstricks you should be typesetting using the TEX->DVI mode (e.g., latex->dvips->ps2pdf). If you want to typeset using pdflatex you shouldn't be using pstricks (at least not directly).

In any case pdf viewers that use PDFKit still shouldn't behave badly and even crash when presented with a slightly malformed pdf file. Apple knows about the problem and is working on a fix.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)