[OS X TeX] TeXShop 3.80 hangs after X abort of typesetting

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Jul 19 18:04:46 EDT 2017

> On Jul 19, 2017, at 4:18 PM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> TeXShop 3.80 under macOS 10.12.5 is hanging indefinitely (Activity Monitor shows “Not Responding”) if I respond x in the console after LaTeX encounters an error in the source — even after I wait several minutes.
>
> This is happening even after I deleted TeXShop.app, deleted ~/Library/TeXShop, newly downloaded TeXShop and reinstalled.
>
> If, when that happens, I use Activity Monitor to Force Quite TeXShop.app and then reopen it, when I try to typeset (with the LaTeX engine), the same file, again TeXShop hands.
>
> If I use TextEdit to open that file, copy the file’s contents, reopen TeXShop, use File > New, paste from the TextEdit window into that new unnamed .tex file and then save it, when I now try to typeset it, TeXShop again hands.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> ---
> Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
> 503 King Farm Blvd #101	Home (240)-246-7240
> Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334

Howdy,

I created a file

%%!TEX TS-program = pdflatex
%%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
Word \dumb Word
\end{document}

so that it stops for the undefined command \dumb. I then press x and return and have no problems.

I wonder if you have a very old set of preferences. I think I've seen this before. Please open TeXShop-Preferences and go to the Engine tab. Then press the two Default buttons in the pdfTeX section as well as the two buttons in the TeX+dvips+distiller section. Then press OK. The lines should then have the -file-line-error option set which is needed by TeXShop to process errors.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)