[OS X TeX] TexShop hanging

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Jul 29 20:41:42 EDT 2017

> On Jul 29, 2017, at 6:17 PM, M. Tamer Özsu <ozsut at mac.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Herb,
>
> I tried that after I introduced an error. It did stop when the error occurred, as expected, but did not hang as before. So, there is obviously a difference between choosing Pdflatex from the Typeset drop-down menu and putting this at the top of the file.
>
> Best.
>
> ==Tamer
> --
> M. Tamer Özsu
> Professor, Cheriton School of Computer Science
> University of Waterloo
> https://cs.uwaterloo.ca/~tozsu
> +1-519-888-4043
>
>> On Jul 29, 2017, at 11:55 AM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On Jul 28, 2017, at 10:48 PM, M. Tamer Özsu <ozsut at mac.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think I was using pdflatex Herb.
>>>
>>> ==Tamer
>>> --
>>> M. Tamer Özsu
>>> Professor, Cheriton School of Computer Science
>>> University of Waterloo
>>> https://cs.uwaterloo.ca/~tozsu
>>> +1-519-888-4043

>> Howdy,
>>
>> Please try to put the line
>>
>> % !TEX TS-program = pdflatexmk
>>
>> at the top of your file and then compile it using Typeset->Typeset (Cmd-T). That will use the pdflatexmk engine to compile your document. Does the problem go away when you use that engine?
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Howdy,

That's actually good news! It's a problem that managed to get solved before.

Ok... here goes...

Open the Engine tab of TeXShop->Preferences. There are two Default buttons in the pdfTeX section and another two Default buttons in the TeX+dvips+distiller section. Press all four buttons. Then you can remove that extra line I told you about and typeset again using pdflatex. You should not have a problem now.

PS: I know that the pdflatexmk engine (which is what that line uses to compile) has all the correct options set; in particular the --file-line-error option for pdflatex. Pressing those Default buttons makes sure those internal scripts have that option set too.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)