[OS X TeX] Viewing PDFs under Sierra

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Wed Mar 29 19:05:49 EDT 2017

On Mar 29, 2017, at 14:56 , Richard Seguin wrote:

> In my case, I left the machine running with the black screen for 40 to 60 minutes, it was still black and unresponsive, and the machine was actually cooling down, as if nothing was happening. I have a pure SSD HD, so the installs should have been relatively speedy. But, in general, you are right. These major installs often involve some long pauses near the end where the progress bar doesn’t seem to be moving.

Not sure this is relevant for macOS, but I read (out there on the wide world net) that the new iOS release comes with a new file system, which causes an extremely long upgrade time, as the file system is being changed while the upgrade happens.  This is supposed to go along with a similar change at some point for macOS, tvOS, and watchOS (is that a noun or a verb?), so that all (Apple) systems share the same underpinnings (for some definition of "same").  This system is supposed to be "optimized for SSD drives", FWIW.

See this:
  <http://www.google.com/url?q=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_File_System&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjGnZ2N6fzSAhVfVWMKHZucCrIQFggYMAE&usg=AFQjCNGMNr-xW-kjsxuP_1ywnEROc7mYrw>

HTH

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large, Director
Institute for the Enhancement of the Director's Income