[OS X TeX] CocoAspell & High Sierra

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Nov 6 16:52:39 EST 2017

> On Nov 6, 2017, at 2:05 PM, Richard Seguin <riseguin at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> Herb,
>
> Has font smoothing in PDFKit been fixed in 10.13.1? Have you tried adjusting font smoothing from 0 to 3 to see what happens?
>
> defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int X          for X = 0 to 3
>
> Unfortunately, I have a feeling that this is the kind of thing that won’t get fixed until .3 or .4, if at all.

Howdy,

It is really strange because the problem supposedly didn't show up until the final gold version. It's a real regression as far as I'm concerned. I'm afraid it won't get fixed in 10.13 at all :-(.

Of course it only appears with non-Retina displays; Retina displays are sharp.

I haven't tried playing with that hidden preference. Is there a default value for that preference? I can't seem to find it.

There is also a gray flash when there is an update to the Preview display. I thought that was only true on Retina displays but the display type makes no difference. You can really see it if you're viewing deeper into a longer document.

> PDFKit is not the only thing affected by Apple’s constant fiddling. I have another application that was recently made compatible with 10.13.0, and then Apple released 10.13.1 and broke it again.
>
> Richard Séguin

Not surprising. I've seen several problems because of APFS on SSD (it seems the installer leaves the older file system when installing on a standard HD.