[OS X TeX] TeX and Apple's possible transition to RISC

David Thompson drdbthompson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 19:00:40 EDT 2018

Good afternoon Richard…

I’ll echo the opinions of several others… I’m not really concerned. I moved from linux/Winder$ to a PowerBook in 2003 because I learned that OS X was really BSD with a pretty face. That meant all my favorite tools from linux would be available under OS X through a shell.

I’m still stuck with Winder$ because certain numerical modeling software I use as a professional runs on that platform. Winder$ has improved over the years. But I’ll be stuck with it for the forseeable future, or at least until I retire from my profession.

If Apple abandons the unix-based system, I’ll just set up another linux box and live happily in that environment. The alternative is to stick with my Winder$ system add in the *nixy parts that are missing, just like I did back in the 90s. I’m not really anticipating that Apple will do that, but one never knows and it’s their playground.

It will be interesting, in any event. RISC used the be the Next Big Thing. Heh...

David B. Thompson, Ph.D., PE, PH
Civil engineer/hydrologist