[OS X TeX] Using CocoAspell with TeXShop

R Martinez rm.tech at mac.com
Wed Aug 15 16:42:54 EDT 2018

Hi,

I use CocoAspell for my spell checker because it recognizes TeX/LaTex. In the Spelling Preference Pane I select "English (United States) [w_accents]” dictionary, check the TeX/LaTeX filter checked, and use all the default settings otherwise.

In TeXShop, I select the dictionary "English (United States) [w_accents]" in TeXShop Preferences.

I get some weird and annoying but otherwise ignorable effects. For example, the \usepackage command is always labeled as misspelled (the dreaded dotted red underline). When the dictionary finds a misspelled English word, it flags it as misspelled but never offers suggestions, no matter how obvious the typo.

Worse is that for those of us who use a MacBook Pro with Touchbar, CocoAspell disables the predictive text feature in the touchbar.

It would be nice to hear about others’ experiences with CocoAspell and TeXShop.

Thanks to all of you on the list.

Raul Martinez