[OS X TeX] Latex symbol for "define equal"

Art Werschulz agw at comcast.net
Sun Aug 19 19:19:06 EDT 2018

Hi.

> On Aug 19, 2018, at 6:52 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>
> I've always assumed Pascal's use of := rather than = as ``assigned to'' is because
>
> x = x + 1
>
> used to increment a memory location assigned the name x makes no sense as a mathematical equation but
>
> x := x + 1
>
> makes sense.

The := was used for the assignment operator in Algol; you can see it in the Algol 58 Report.  (Algol was the second programming language I learned, Fortran being the first.)

As I understand it, the reason C used = rather than := for assignment was that assignment statements were more common than comparing for equality, so the more easily-typed operator was used for the more common operation.

Art Werschulz
agw at comcast.net