[OS X TeX] Latex symbol for "define equal"

"Néstor E. Aguilera" nestoreaguilera at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 08:10:57 EDT 2018

Hi everyone:

It seems to me that when we use "=" or another symbol in a "definition" we are actually stablishin a "notation". When we say "A is invertible if/iff/when..." this looks more like a definition, but it is actually a naming convention (right?), that is, a variant of notation, where we use a name to describe a perhaps complex situation.

Knuth "defines" (as stated in Appendix B) the "bracket notation" (ACP, Vol 1, §1.2.3, equation (16)) using "=" and "if".

Perhaps somebody can explain what are the differences, if any, between "definition" and "notation".

Best,

Nestor