[OS X TeX] Customize brackets/braces/parens/delimiters TexShop matching

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Feb 11 09:55:13 EST 2018

> On Feb 11, 2018, at 7:34 AM, Juan Acevedo <juan.acevedo at gmx.net> wrote:
>
> I wonder if it’s possible to make TeXShop recognise other delimiters than the current {}[]()<>, and match and highlight pairs of guillemets «» for instance, or double question marks “”.
>
> I have been looking at the Help panel, hidden preferences but couldn’t find anything.
>
> Thanks,
> Juan

Howdy,

While not a real answer to you query I want to point out a way to ``guarantee'' pairs are created. While using paired guillemets, «», might be reasonable doing paired double quotes, "", is not reasonable for the same reason that paired dollar signs, $$, are difficult; in both cases it is reasonable to have an unpaired single " or $ so the start and stop delimiter are not well defined.

One way to prevent a problem is to either use a Key Binding (e.g., typing " produces ``•'' (where • is the position of the the insertion point) or creating a simple macro that always puts them in pairs. The Key Binding will only work if there is a single key press to create the result (i.e., you DON'T have to press a dead key before pressing another key---e.g., to get é on a US keyboard you first press Opt-e and then press e).

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)