[OS X TeX] Beamer question: interaction between columns and overlays

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Mon Feb 26 16:27:57 EST 2018

Hi again  Nitecki,

On Feb 27, 2018, at 8:14 AM, Nitecki, Zbigniew H. <Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu<mailto:Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu>> wrote:

I am trying to create a slide in two columns: the left column has text in several overlays, and the right column is a figure which is to stay constant.

The following code
\frame{
\begin{columns}
\column{5 cm}
\only<1->
{
First comment.
\pause
Second comment.
\pause
Third comment.
}
\column{5 cm}
\only<1->
{

Constant comment.

}
\end{columns}
}
results in a set of slides where the left side occurs as desired, but the right column only appears at the end (ie, only on the third slide).

I learnt a few years ago to *not* use  \pause .
Instead use  \onslide , and   \onslide* , with appropriate parameters.

Indeed every year I take my previous year’s slides and go through them,
replacing all instances of  \pause .

The point is that  \pause  increments a counter at each usage, to decide
what goes on the current page-build.
With  \onslide   you can put things anywhere on the page, specifying exactly
which partial-builds they should show up on.

What is the right syntax to get the right column to appear in all overlays?

Trash use of  \pause  in any situation that is more complicated than just
adding text sequentially down the page.

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155

telephones:
Office    (617)627-3843
Dept.    (617)627-3234
Dept. fax    (617)627-3966
http://www.tufts.edu/~znitecki/

Hope this helps.

Ross

Dr Ross Moore

Mathematics Dept | 12 Wally’s Walk, 734
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia

T: +61 2 9850 8955  |  F: +61 2 9850 8114<tel:%2B61%202%209850%209695>
M:+61 407 288 255<tel:%2B61%20409%20125%20670>  |  E: ross.moore at mq.edu.au<mailto:rick.minter at mq.edu.au>

http://www.maths.mq.edu.au<http://mq.edu.au/>

[cid:image001.png at 01D030BE.D37A46F0]<http://mq.edu.au/>

CRICOS Provider Number 00002J. Think before you print.
Please consider the environment before printing this email.<http://mq.edu.au/>

This message is intended for the addressee named and may
contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed
in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not
necessarily the views of Macquarie University.<http://mq.edu.au/>