[OS X TeX] Placing macro files

Ettore Aldrovandi ealdrov at math.fsu.edu
Thu Jun 7 12:44:29 EDT 2018

> On Jun 7, 2018, at 11:38, M. Tamer Özsu <ozsut at mac.com> wrote:
>
> You can do it in the reverse as well Herb — in fact Dropbox recommends putting the originals in Dropbox and having symbolic links elsewhere (and, as far as I could figure out, this is the only way it works on Windows Dropbox installations).

I think that’s what Herb was suggesting

> On Mac OS, I have found that I can leave things where they are and put symlinks into Dropbox. I have a bunch of symlinks in Dropbox to folders in my ~/Documents directory and it works. I think I like having the originals in their default locations and thinking of Dropbox only as a utility to facilitate sync’ing.

That works, but I don’t think it’s supported. It seems to be a (useful) side-effect of how Dropbox does not handle symlinks. And of course, while for some reason the symlink is preserved in your local ~/Dropbox directory, you are still copying the actual files over the Dropbox servers

—Ettore