[OS X TeX] TexShop/MacTex etc

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed May 9 10:00:18 EDT 2018

> On May 9, 2018, at 8:15 AM, Leslie Morland (MTH - Staff) <L.Morland at uea.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> Have only updated TexShop for some time. Should I start afresh with complete system (TexLive or MacTex ?).
>
> Am finding cls, bst, bib files etc are not found unless I bring them into current typesetting directory; I believe
> they can be housed centrally (used to be) and available from all directories. Clearly my system has been
> messed up, so what should directory structure be ?  and will new start put it right ?
>
> TexShop etc have been great and I expect all to work without having to think, but I do appreciate all the
> background work contributed by Richard and others to support and upgrade this system.
>
> Leslie

Howdy,

What TeX distribution are you presently using? If it was installed by MacTeX you can store personal packages/classes in ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex (~/Library is the Library folder in your HOME folder, NOT /Library which is the Library folder at the root of your Hard Drive. Note: if you've never used it before you'll have to create the texmf/tex/latex folder structure in ~/Library.

Similarly you can store personal .bib and .bst files ~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bib and ~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bst respectively.

What macOS version are you using? That will determine whether you can install MacTeX, which is for macOS 10.10 and later for 2018, or TeX Live directly.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)