[OS X TeX] cocoAspell

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Sep 15 15:39:21 EDT 2018

> On Sep 15, 2018, at 2:03 PM, Themis Matsoukas <tmatsoukas at icloud.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sep 15, 2018, at 1:06 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> Does the Text tab of Keyboard Pane in System Preferences show that you have an English (with possible other stuff) dictionary? If not Check that you have a dictionary checked off in the Spelling pane supplied by cocoAspell. As I said I just have the English dictionary checked off there. Then an English (Aspell) dictionary appears in the Text tab of the Keyboard pane.
>>
>> Finally, in TeXShop I have English as the dictionary chosen in the Source tab of TeXShop->Preferences (you may have to update to the latest 4.08 beta to be able to change that---I've inherited it from ages ago) and Edit->Show Spelling and Grammar shows English (Aspell) as my dictionary.
>>
>> I believe the setting in System Preferences set the Global Default for all apps (e.g., I use the English (Aspell) in Mail) while the TeXShop Preference setting is the default set for TeXShop and the one in the Spelling and Grammar window is the actual one you are using (which you can change for any given document.
>>
>> Note: there is also a TeXShop directive that selects a dictionary:
>>
>> % !TEX spellcheck = English
>>
>> to select the English (Aspell) dictionary on a document by document basis.
>>
>> Again, I just check off English (with no extra descriptors) in the cocoAspell Spelling pane
>

> Finally, here is what seems to be working for me right now:
>
> 	cocoaspell panel: "English"
> 	Keyboard/Text panel: "English (Aspell)" (but it doesn't seem to matter if I pick "U.S. English" instead

Howdy,

I'd expect that since the System Preference/Keyboard/Text sets the System Wide Default which TeXShop can override. I'd expect that TextEdit would display whatever is chosen here.

> 	Texshop:  "English" (preference sticks even though I am on 4.01).

TeXShop/Preferences/Source is where TeXShop is overriding the System Preference choice. The item in the TeXShop/Preferences/Source pane has been there since TeXShop 3.81 so I'd expect 4.01 to have it. I'm not sure when it got broken but in the latest 4.08 beta it seems to be fixed.

> With these settings latex commands are ignored in spell-checking but there are some problems:
>
> Some common words such as proven, extremum, discretized, and linearization are flagged as mispelled.
>
> In $a=bk + kT$, "kT" is flagged as mispelled (but not "bk"). Same with some other double letter combinations in math.
>
> Themis

Just add them to the personal dictionary as a choice and that sort of stuff will quickly become part of the vocabulary quite quickly.

Glad to hear that cocoAspell is now working for you.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)