[OS X TeX] font installation

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Sep 22 07:57:05 EDT 2018

> On Sep 22, 2018, at 6:05 AM, Themis Matsoukas <tmatsoukas at icloud.com> wrote:
>
> I want to install mtpro2 (I'm on texlive 2018). According to my notes, which I believe came from Herb:
>
>> Fonts must be installed in personal tree: /Users/themis/Library/texmf/...
>>
>> 1. Create the file /Users/themis/Library/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg with contents:
>>
>> #! Map belleek.map
>> Map mtpro2.map
>>                  <--- leave one line blank!!!
>>
>> NOTE: This file only needs to be created once - LEAVE BLANK LINE AT HE END!
>>
>> 2. Run updmap in the terminal every time TL is updated.
>
> I've done steps 1 and 2 but when  I run updmap in the terminal it tells me to specify -user or -sys. It seems to me I ought to use updmap -user but I wanted to check with the experts before I do the wrong thing.
>
> Themis

Howdy,

While installing in the personal tree works fine I generally recommend installation in the texmf-local tree.

Yes, updmap was changed a while ago so that the use is symmetric between -sys and -usr. So, if you do install in the personal tree you need to use updmap-user. (I'll have to check my documentation to see if I updated it!) You will have to run updmap-user at least once so that the TeX distriibution `knows' about the font.

If you use TeX Live Utility to do updates make sure you check the `Automatically enable fonts in my home direcotry' item in TeX Live Utility->Preferences so it will run updmap-user after a font update since tlmgr only runs updmap-sys. That way you can avoid step 2 when you update TL.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)