[OS X TeX] TeXShop not trashing aux files -- not TeXShop's problem

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Aug 21 14:30:09 EDT 2019

> On Aug 21, 2019, at 1:11 PM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> For my current book project, I just wrote a little shell script that deletes all the .aux files in the tree below a specified directory:
>
> #! /bin/bash
> # zap_aux - delete .aux files
> cd /Users/me/Documents/BookProject
> find . -name "*.aux" -type f -delete
>
> Evidently that could be modfied so as to take as an argument the starting, top-level, folder.
>
>> On 21 Aug2019, at 12:33 AM, mmurray <michael.murray at adelaide.edu.au> wrote:
>>
>> I thought I would post my solution to this problem as I couldn't find this
>> particular answer anywhere.  The problem was not with TeXShop but with
>> corrupted permissions on my .Trash file.  As a result every time I tried to
>> move anything to trash MacOS would say it need to be deleted immediately and
>> I had to click OK to do that. I guess TeXShop was somehow getting this
>> behinds the scene and not being able to deal with it.  Which is  fine of
>> course. Not sure I would want a programme overriding a dialogue like that.
>>
>> The solution I found seems to be to delete the .Trash and log in and out at
>> which point a new one with correct permissions is created.  I did that in
>> Terminal.  Probably better people look this up themselves than take my
>> amateur advice on how to use the remove command with Terminal.
>>
>> Michael

Howdy,

If you want to delete more than just the .aux file but any from a long list of extensions download  `DeleteAuxFilesMacros.plist.zip' from <https://herbs.github.io>. The macros don't put things in the trash but use `rm' directly to delete all files in the same directory as the .tex file with extensions that are in an easily edited list. There are two versions of the macro in that .plist file; one that keeps .pdf, .bbl and few other extensions and one that also removes those files.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)