[OS X TeX] how imitate TeXShop's pdflatexmk from command line

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 13:21:17 EDT 2019

First, a correction: with the manual process, after the 3rd run of pdflatex and before the run of makeindex, I do also have the expected file main.nlo.

Realizing this, I’ve repeated the command-line process, but this time using 3 invocations of makeindex:

makeindex main -s main.ist -o main.nls
makeindex names.idx -s main.ist -o names.ind
makeindex -s main.ist main

Now after the final pdflatex run, I do get both the index of names and the main index — but still NO index of notation (nomenclature).

What am I doing wrong, or what else do I need to do?

> On 22 Aug2019, at 12:52 PM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The dead-stop freezes of TeXShop (now version 4.31) under macOS Mojave have become utterly frustrating, making the app nearly impossible to use except as an editor: typically on my book-lenght project I cannot get more than 2 or 3 successive runs of latex without a freeze; and nearly every time a run of pdflatexmk freezes somwhere before, or in, the final pass.
>
> So I have to resort to running on the command line. The typical sequence would be:
>
> pdflatex main
> bibtex main
> pdflatex main
> pdflatex main
> makeindex -s main.ist main
> pdflatex main
>
> My book has two indexes — an index of names and the main index — along with an index of notation (nomenclature). but I’m not getting any of them in the pdf.
>
> Specifically, I’m using documentclass memoir, (in case that matters) along with packages:
>
> repeatindex
> nomencl         (for which I have a nomencl.cfg)
>
> The glossary is supposed to be printed by command
>
> \printglossary[notation]
>
> and then the two indexes are supposed to be printed by commands:
>
> \printindex[names]
> \printindex
>
> After the third run of pdflatex, I have the files:
>
> main.idx
> names.idx
> notation.idx (but empty)
>
> After the run of makeindex, before the final run of pdflatex, I have in addition the file
>
> main.ind.
>
> By contrast, on the rare occasions I can get TeXShop’s pdflatexmk engine to complete all passes, I have also:
>
> names.ind
> main.nlo      (for the index of notation provided by nomencl)
>

> My  platexmkrc file is:
>
> $makeindex = "makeindex -s %R.ist %O -o %D %S”;
>
> How should I modify the manual steps so as to accomplish the same thing as a TeXShop run of the pdflatexmk engine, showing all 3 indexes?
>
>> Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com <mailto:murrayeisenberg at gmail.com>
> 503 King Farm Blvd #101	Home (240)-246-7240
> Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334

---
Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com