[OS X TeX] Issues with XeLaTeX and LuaLatex

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Jun 15 12:17:40 EDT 2019

> On Jun 15, 2019, at 9:40 AM, Gerben Wierda <gerben.wierda at rna.nl> wrote:
>
> Hi Herb,
>
> There is only one Optima font on my system: /System/Library/Fonts/Optima.ttc. XeLaTeX handles it well, accented characters, such as á will display OK. slanted displays fine too. There are just these warnings from microtype. Remove \usepackage[protrusion=true]{microtype} and the warnings disappear. The warnings seem to be spurious. The document is typeset OK.
>
> More problematic is the fact that when using  LuaLaTeX, I cant get slanted or bold fonts when I select Optima using fontspec
>
> I’m dropping LuaTeX for now.
>
> Gerben Wierda
> Chess and the Art of Enterprise Architecture
> Mastering ArchiMate
> Architecture for Real Enterprises at InfoWorld
> On Slippery Ice at EAPJ
>
>> On 15 Jun 2019, at 00:10, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Jun 14, 2019, at 3:27 PM, Gerben Wierda <gerben.wierda at rna.nl> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello world,
>>>
>>> I’ve been experimenting with XeLaTeX and LuaLaTeX. This is in my preamble:
>>>
>>> \documentclass[10pt]{article}
>>> \usepackage{relsize}
>>> \usepackage[dutch]{babel}
>>> \usepackage{multicol}
>>> \usepackage[colorlinks=true]{hyperref}
>>> \usepackage{cleveref}
>>> \crefformat{footnote}{#2\footnotemark[#1]#3}
>>> \usepackage{fontspec}
>>> \usepackage{textcomp}
>>> \usepackage{enumitem}% http://ctan.org/pkg/enumitem
>>> \usepackage[scale=0.9]{geometry} % see geometry.pdf on how to lay out the page. There's lots.
>>> \geometry{a4paper} % or letter or a5paper or ... etc
>>> \usepackage[protrusion=true]{microtype}
>>> \setmainfont{Optima}
>>> \begin{document}
>>>
>>> When using LuaLatex, I get
>>>
>>> LaTeX Font Warning: Some font shapes were not available, defaults substituted.
>>>
>>> and neither \textsl{} or \emph{} work.
>>>
>>> With either LuaLaTeX or XeLaTeX I get tons of:
>>>
>>> Package microtype Warning: Unknown slot number of character
>>> (microtype)                `\r u'
>>> (microtype)                in font encoding `TU' in inheritance list
>>> (microtype)                `microtype.cfg/376(protrusion)'.
>>>

>>> Package microtype Warning: Unknown slot number of character
>>> (microtype)                `\'Z'
>>> (microtype)                in font encoding `TU' in inheritance list
>>> (microtype)                `microtype.cfg/376(protrusion)'.
>>>
>>> Apparently, I don’t know what I’m doing. Finally moving away from my very outdated pdfTeX approach is probably the reason.
>>>

>>> Gerben Wierda
>>> Chess and the Art of Enterprise Architecture
>>> Mastering ArchiMate
>>> Architecture for Real Enterprises at InfoWorld
>>> On Slippery Ice at EAPJ
>>
>> Howdy,

> [...]

Howdy,

Are you using the macros for accented characters or simply typing them into your document. I may be that microtype is complaining that the composed characters aren't there (but the actual character is there so shows up in your document).

Sigh... I didn't see Optima in Font Book because my Personal Fonts were selected rather than All Fonts. Font Book and my sample don't show Small Caps as being available.

I rarely use lualatex. You might try to remove ~/texlive/2019/texmf-var/luatex-cache and rerun. It will take a while to re-build the cache the first time there is a compile. I have a test file that shows those variations correctly when compiled with lualatex.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)