[OS X TeX] Console sometimes stops reporting

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue May 21 18:47:02 EDT 2019

> On May 21, 2019, at 5:31 PM, Ross Moore <ross.moore at mq.edu.au> wrote:
>
> Hi Themis,
>
> I’ve had such situations, but not so early within the document processing.
> Usually I’m tracing the output routine, or some such macro expansions, etc.
> The .log file is getting very large, so I can imagine a buffer for the Console
> becoming filled up. Then the Console stops, but the .log file is still correctly
> created.
> It’s not an issue for me, as I read the .log file in a different editor-like application,
> or compare it in a diff-viewer with a different run have changed settings,
> to discover what I was looking for.
>

> Cheers.
>
> Ross
>
>> On 22 May 2019, at 8:26 am, Themis Matsoukas <tmatsoukas at icloud.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am not sure if this intermittent issue is still being investigated but here is a case where the console stopped reporting in mid sentence, although the final PDF seemed to be OK as far as I could tell. This is using TS 4.27. The next typeset went through all the way.
>>

>> [...]
>> /usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/tex/latex/tools/array.sty))
>> (/usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/tex/latex/hyperref/hyperref.sty
>> (/usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/tex/generic/oberdiek/hobsub-hyperref.sty
>> (/usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/tex/generic/oberdiek/hobsub-generic.sty
>> (/usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/scripts/oberdiek/oberdiek.luatex.lua)))
>> (/usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/tex/generic/ifxetex/ifxetex.sty)
>> (/usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/tex/latex/oberdiek/auxhook.sty)
>> (/usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/tex/latex/oberdiek/kvoptions.sty)
>> (/usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/tex/latex/hyperref/pd1enc.def)
>> (/usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/tex/latex/latexconfig/hyperref.cfg))
>> (/usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/tex/la
>>
>> Themis

Howdy,

I've had it happen with small files so I don't believe it's a buffer overflow. While the compile completes sometimes it usually seems to happen mid-compile and files aren't closed properly, etc. I haven't been able to find any consistency with the problem and it happens only rarely at this end (other have experienced it more frequently).

Ross: what macOS version are you using? I wonder how far back this goes and I seem to remember you don't keep up with the bleeding edge.

PS: I kow I'm going to regret this but I haven't had a problem since updating 1o macOS 10.14.5. But that's not too long ago.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)