[OS X TeX] enumeration

Nitecki, Zbigniew H. Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu
Wed Aug 19 12:36:22 EDT 2020

I apologize for this, which is really an amstex or latex question.  I recall once seeing an answer (somewhere) and can’t find it now.

In the amsarticle document style as presently constituted, when you start a list with
\begin{enumerate}
\item…
the numer of the (first) item gets printed as "(1)";  it used to print as “1.”.
The former, “(1)”, drives me crazy.  The latter, “1.”,  is what all the “tutorials” online assume happens.

I think I once saw a way to change this back by putting an option into the
document style, or perhaps via some other universal command, but can’t find it now.

I tried a local command, that is, beginning my environment with
\begin{enumerate}[label=\arabic*.]
and got the error message
./135F20HW1.tex:73: Missing number, treated as zero.
<to be read again>
                   \c@*
l.73 \begin{enumerate}[label=\arabic*.]

So how do I restore the old way with a single universal command in the preamble, so I don’t have to change things every time I use the enumerate environment?

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155