[OS X TeX] How to get xasy to run?

William Slough wslough at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 18:20:44 EDT 2020

Murray,

My guess is that the GUI version, xasy, is not necessarily expected to run
"out of the box" from a MacTeX installation, even though the script to
start it is present. For what it's worth, I'm still on Mojave and when I
tried to run xasy I got a slightly different error when try to run xasy:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Library/TeX/texbin/xasy", line 4, in <module>
    import PyQt5.QtWidgets as Qw
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'PyQt5'

This may not be the answer you are looking for, but I think the simplest
way to get it to run is to install it via Macports. If you already use
Macports, this will probably be a simple matter to do a "port install."
(Using Macports is one of the recommended approaches for OS X given on the
Asymptote site. The other is compiling from source, which could be a
daunting procedure.)

Bill Slough
Eastern Illinois University
Mathematics and Computer Science Department (emeritus)
Charleston, IL