[OS X TeX] Best iPad PDF viewer for math?

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Sat Aug 22 08:15:45 EDT 2020

Hi Richard,

On 22 Aug 2020, at 2:11 pm, Richard Seguin <riseguin at earthlink.net<mailto:riseguin at earthlink.net>> wrote:

All — Thanks all for the responses! Earlier today I downloaded the free version of PDF Viewer Pro and it does have more capability than the Books viewer.

Ross — it appears that you’ve created folders on your iPad to sort types of documents. How did you create the folders? It’s not obvious that that can be done from the Files app. As someone new to the iPad, the file system is a bit of a mystery.

Find a way to “Browse”, then select “On My iPad” in the left listing,
under “locations” if this is not already open.

You should get 2 columns, for Folders and Files in the selected folder.
There’s an icon of a folder with a small ‘+' sign.
After seeing this, the rest is clear.

I originally discovered the Books viewer when I emailed a PDF document to myself and brought it up in the iPad from Earthlink web mail. I somehow wound up opening it up in Safari, and from Safari I somehow associated it with the Books app, which displays the document in a fairly minimalistic but attractive way. With the Files app, I have not been able to find where that document is located.

My understanding with iOS is that every application has its own area for saving files associated with the App.
It’s not at all the same as with a MacBook, or earlier computer.
There is no, at least not readily available, file system that is shared by everything else.

Files will only handle files that you have associated with it.
It cannot search for files associated to other Apps.

For those of us who have been brought up with full access to all files on the computer,
it is a quite different experience.

Hope the helps.

Ross

It’s as if it disappeared into a black hole. I again downloaded that file via the Earthlink web mail in Safari, and this time was able to direct it to the Downloads folder, which is the only folder in the file system that I’ve seen so far. When I double clicked on the document there, it opened in what I think Ross refers to as “the natural viewer that comes by accessing PDFs via the iPad's File System app.” This was definitely better than the Books version. Then I associated it with PDF Viewer Pro and tried it with that. Next up tomorrow I’ll look at the Adobe version.

I also got an Apple Pencil right away. It’s not only good for drawing and freehand writing, but also manipulating tiny elements on the screen when my fingers are clumsy at it.

By the way, I have discovered that some USB microphones work with the iPad Air via the lightning port to USB “camera adapter.” I have a desktop microphone (Fifine K670B) that I will be using for some video conferencing with the iPad, and the audio should be considerably better than the built in one. One worry is that the microphone will draw down the charge in the iPad faster than usual, but the adapter I have has a second lightning port in which you can plug the charger.

Richard