[OS X TeX] templates

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Jul 13 12:28:40 EDT 2020

> On Jul 13, 2020, at 11:12 AM, Nitecki, Zbigniew H. <Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu> wrote:
>
> This is more of a Mac question than a TeX question, I think.
>
> I have in the past made use of many templates which I have created as .sty files.
> I store them in a file called “My Templates” on Dropbox.
> Recently, I wrote a new one (for a new purpose) and put it there.
> But when I open a new document in TeX and click on the “Templates” button,
> in contrast to past behavior, that new file is not listed (all the old ones are).
>
> I tried quitting TeXShop and also restarting the computer, and neither seems to make a difference.
>
> Any suggestions where to look for the problem?

Howdy,

By Templates it sounds like you mean packages (.sty files) rather than something like TeXShop's templates. Packages are not searched for in the DropBox folder but personal packages are usually searched for in your personal texmf tree with root in ~/Library/texmf in a folder or sub-folder in ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex. You may have copied the files from your DropBox folder there.

> Also, I am quite naive about the optimal way to store files being used by TeXShop; for example
> my own macros are in another folder in Dropbox called “Macros”, and inside that, “MyMacros”>
> This is because I know how to find these files when I need to consult or modify them.
> I would welcome suggestions about a more efficient way to store these.
>
> Zbigniew Nitecki

If they are .sty files they aren't being used by TeXShop but by (pdf/xe/lua)latex when typesetting.

What is MyMacros? Is that a file with extension .plist or a folder or...? Are these macros that get displayed in TeXShop's Macros Menu? If so, they will be found in ~/Library/TeXShop/Macros. You can easily use TeXShop->Open ~/Library/TeXShop Menu Item to get to that Macros folder.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)