[OS X TeX] templates (Herbert Schulz)

David Goldenberg Goldenberg at biology.utah.edu
Mon Jul 13 15:29:49 EDT 2020

>> On Jul 13, 2020, at 11:29 AM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> I should say that I?m still suspicious and uncomfortable with the idea of making any cloud location my primary access location. (Although I?m rather forced to do this for things like my contacts list, calendar, etc. that I access across various Apple devices.)
>>

> Howdy,
>
> And you should be! I heard of way too many instances of typesetting problems involving files on the Cloud.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Hi,
  I have had pretty good luck with keeping my texmf directory on Dropbox. My strategy is to create the following directory structure in my Dropbox folder:

~/Dropbox/Library/texmf/

Then, I create a symbolic link (not an alias) of the texmf directory in ~/Library. Doing this on each of my computers ensures that I am using the same texmf on all of them.

Depending on how you set up Dropbox, the contents are stored on the individual computers, as well as in the cloud, so that they are available even when you don’t have an internet connection, and they can be backed up with the rest of your local data.

I use the same strategy for a variety of other purposes, including the Application Support directories for some programs.

YMMV, of course, but it has worked well for me. (A very dangerous thing to say!)

David Goldenberg
--
School of Biological Sciences
University of Utah