[OS X TeX] key bindings in texshop: what was that key combination?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Jun 5 14:58:05 EDT 2020

> On Jun 5, 2020, at 1:29 PM, Nicolae Garleanu <garleanu at berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> Quick question on figuring out which key binding I used for a given text or symbol. When I open the key bindings editor in Texshop, I see all sorts of symbols in the left column, but I don’t know what key combinations they indicate. Could this be to do with the encoding chosen? Anyway, is there an easy way to tell what the combinations are?
>
> (Encoding is a topic I don’t understand anywhere near well enough; for instance, I get an error when I compiled a file in which I left a bullet introduced when completing an environment — \begin{align*}, say — which makes it a pain; I’ll probably have to change the definition of all the completions. What is the recommended encoding for writing scientific documents, in English, on the latest Mac OS?)
>
> Best regards,
> Nicolae

Howdy,

Under the Keyboard panel in System Preferences choose the Input Sources tab and check the Show Input menu in menu bar item. A new menu will appear in the Menu Bar. Choose the Show Keyboard Viewer item in this new menu. The small keyboard image shows what you get when pressing keys on the keyboard. If you press the Option key it changes to show what happens when you press the Option key and one of the other keys simultaneously.

Note: there are some keys that are highlighted when you press the Option key. These keys are precursor or dead keys in that AFTER pressing and releasing that key you must press another key to produce a character in the source file; e.g., on the US Keyboard you need to press and release Opt-e and then the letter e to get é, the letter e with an acute accent. Note: these key combinations cannot be programmed in Key Bindings.

One other thing to note about Key Bindings is that if you proceed the key binding with a \ you'll get the original character after the \ E.g., I have " type out ``|'' so I get a complete set of double quotes with | being the selection and the insertion point however if I type \ and then " I get \" which can be handy.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)