[OS X TeX] sagetex use from TeXShop

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 11:04:01 EDT 2020

At least with the current version (9.1) of Sage, the sagetex.sty file is in

	/Applications/SageMath.app/Contents/Resources/sage/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/sagetex

and so the instruction in your SageTest.pdf for creating the link to it should be:

	sudo ln -s /Applications/SageMath.app/Contents/Resources/sage/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/sagetex/sagetex.sty .

(The path you showed omitted the bottom-most directory sagetex.)

> On 13 Jun2020, at 2:44 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>
>> On Jun 13, 2020, at 1:10 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Jun 13, 2020, at 12:36 PM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Environment: SageMath-9.1.app, TeXShop 4.44, MacTeX/TeXLive 2020, under macOS 10.15.5.
>>>
>>> SageMath-9.1.app will NOT work properly as an app if its name is changed to SageMath.app, even if then the alias /Applications/SageMath-9.1.app/sage is changed to have as target the binary /Applications/SageMath-9.1.app/Contents/MacOS/Sage.
>>>
>>> Hence:
>>>
>>> 	(1) the recommendation in TeXShop's About Sage.pdf to rename the app to SageMath.app and then to edit sage.engine to remove “8.7” from the call /Applications/SageMath-8.7.app... cannot be used; and
>>> 	(2) the recommendation in TeXShop’s  SageAndLatexmk.pd to rename the app to SageMath.app and then create the link in /usr/local/bin to /Applications/SageMath.app/Contents/Resources/sage/sage and the link in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/latex sagetex  to /Applications/SageMath.app/Contents/Resources/sage/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/sagetex.sty cannot be used either.
>>>
>>> 	Instead, the links have to point to the corresponding files in /Applications/SageMath-9.1.app/Contents/Resources/sage.
>>>
>>> 	Or else, if you are putting local files in or else, as I have done then: copy sagetex.sty — from either the Sage distribution itself or, what gives the same version, from a ctan download —  to ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/sagetex.
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
>>> 503 King Farm Blvd #101	Home (240)-246-7240
>>> Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> What does ``Work Properly'' mean. I never use Sage as an app but rather as a packaged way of getting sage and sagetex.sty using symlinks as noted. I have NO problem running that way. When I start up SageMath.app (yes, I renamed it) it opens a couple of web pages; is that what it's supposed to do?
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>

> Enclosed is a document giving the technique I use to initially download and install the Sage Math app for sagetex use. It also describes what I do when I update the Sage Math app.
>
> <SageTest.pdf.zip>
>
> The only behavior that needs attention under Catalina is that I add the Sage Math app to the Full Disk Access list otherwise the first time you try to run the app itself there is a long pause while it tries to read a file before you are asked for permission---very annoying. If you run a Terminal Session from within the app the first time you will also be asked it it can use Apple Events and control Terminal.

---
Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com