[OS X TeX] A 12 year old problem returns

Warren Nagourney w.nagourney at icloud.com
Fri May 29 17:29:22 EDT 2020

> On May 29, 2020, at 2:20 PM, Ross Moore <ross.moore at mq.edu.au> wrote:
>
> Hello Warren,
>
> On 30/05/2020, at 5:24, "Warren Nagourney via MacOSX-TeX" <macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu <mailto:macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu>> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> About 12 years ago, I was having problems with a side effect of typesetting using pdflatex and all the sync options: the preview screen would jump a few pages immediately after typesetting. Looking back at my old emails, I think refreshing the version of pdfsync.sty (or something like this) solved it. The problem has come back. Does anyone know what is happening? (I just installed the full TeXLive 2020 and am using TeXshop).
>
> What type of document is it?
> It a book, or long article with extensive frontmatter, such as Tables of Contents, Figures, etc.
> which are not there on the first run, the Preview may well seem to jump as these are created and included on the next run.
> Similarly as cross-references are resolved into meaningful anchor text, pagination can change, affecting also float placement. Again this can cause the Preview to seem to move to a different page when it is actually the same numbered (virtual) page.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
>  Ross
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Warren Nagourney
>> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/kAXCCRONg6sNAKYBIQclez?domain=tex.ac.uk>
>> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/ <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/MCKCCVARmOHMD4B9UEp4q1?domain=sites.esm.psu.edu>
>> https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/ <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/NcRRCXLW6Dimx6A0tQBJ1f?domain=email.esm.psu.edu>
>> TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/ <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/H1g2CYW86Es5z0YOiQ0ycO?domain=mactex-wiki.tug.org>

Thanks very much for replying, Ross. The document is a book using OUP formatting (though Oxford will probably not publish it). The problem arose very recently even though I have been working on the book for more than a year. I didn’t add anything recently which requires cross-references and haven’t added any references yet.

I just updated all my packages using the TeX Live Utility and the problem seems to have settled down - it might have been fixed. Since it was sporadic, I won’t know for a little while whether that is the case.

Thanks again,

wn