[OS X TeX] External Editor Auto Preview Update

Roussanka Loukanova rl.stpuu at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 03:57:50 EDT 2021

Dear All,

Just to add about the problems of using xelatexTR, i.e., XeLaTeX for files
using pstricks.

Akira Kakuto explained to us on the XeTeX list:
"In TeX Live 2021, PSTricks for XeTeX is not supported in the
default case for a security problem."

Here I make some conclusions, and Herb can clarify more.

And the subject line of this thread, started by myself, is only partly ok,
but is incorrect: I posted it as "External Editor Auto Preview Update"
because I was trying to type in Aquamacs and latexing in TeXShop, to see
what was going on in both of them for files requiring pstricks. The major
problems were, and still are drawings by pstricks requiring:
 latex+dvips+ps2pdf

Luckily, Herbert Schulz, our Herb of this list, figured out the problems
and provided the engines.

By testing some example files I get, at this point:

(1) Files for drawing trees with colored lines and enclosing a tree in the
environment {sideways} typeset finely with the engine latexTR
(latex+dvips+ps2pdf), by setting ps2pdf with the option for transparency

(2) The engine xelatexTR (XeLaTeX with the transparency options) draws
distorted tree lines, by using
lingtrees.sty + pst-tree-dvips-emu.sty from the package LingTrees on CTAN
(not in TeX Live)
(I use  these styles without the special preprocessor in LingTrees)

On the XeTeX list, I gave examples that show the differences between (1)
and (2). They get typeset incorrectly even by late TeX Live 2020, but I
didn't notice that. At that time, XeLaTeX typeset finely the drawings that
I needed.

(3) The legendary package tree-dvips (in TeX Live), by Emma Pease, is old,
but has been very stable and useful

Drawing the trees (tree-manual.tex in the tree-dvips package in TeX Live)
is typeset:

- finely (in TeX Live 2021), via latexTR and latexTRmk (latex+dvips+ps2pdf)

- fails via the default XeLaTeX in TeXShop and in Aquamacs
with and without the option for transparency

With the special options for transparency, xelatexTR and xelatexTRmk
 execute and typeset some of my files with tree drawings, but draw the
colored lines wrongly.

In addition, the engines that use XeLaTeX with pstricks mess up some font
shapes. I can't easily provide any example, because they pop up in the AVM
matrices inside the tree drawings, with another yet external package,
avm.sty.

It seems that these problems are, at least partly,  because of XeTeX in TeX
Live 2021, perhaps even in late TeX Live 2020. These problems started with
 the standard engine latex+dvips+ps2pdf in Autumn 2020 and Early 2021. That
is when and why, I started using XeLaTex.

Best Regards,
Roussanka