[OS X TeX] linking of files

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Aug 28 14:35:39 EDT 2021

> On Aug 28, 2021, at 1:03 PM, Nitecki, Zbigniew H. <Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu> wrote:
>
> All of a sudden, some of the links between files in the TS editor have broken.
> I have a book project involving a master file (Coeur.tex) and many chapter files linked to the main one with the "% !TEX root =  Coeur.tex” line at the start of each chapter file.
> That linkage works fine for compiling the book.  Toggling between .tex and pdf (ie, \command-1) works as well.
> However, if I try to go between a phrase in a .tex file and the corresponding phrase in the .pdf (or vice-versa) via command-click, nothing happens.
>
> I tried quitting and restarting TexShop, to no avail.
> I also pulled up an old file (differnt project) with a similar configuration.  On one try, I could go from pdf to tex, but not the other way.
>
> Immediately before this happened, I was using command-F to search for and modify certain words in the text.
>
> I suspect this is an Apple problem rather than TS as such, though it is when using the TS editor that I encounter it.
>
> Any suggestions for a fix?
>
> Zbigniew Nitecki

Howdy,

Did you move the folder holding the files? Did you clear ALL aux files and re-typeset?

Cmd-1 switches between the Preview and Source (actually the root file of the Source files).

Cmd-Clicking at a location in one of the Source files goes to that location in the PDF file. Cmd-Clicking at a location in the PDF file goes to the proper location in the proper Source file (it opens that file if not already open). It uses the .synctex file to do this but that file has full paths so moving the folder containing the document invalidates the .synctex files so the document needs to be re-typeset. If you clean ALL aux files the .synctex (or .synctex.gz, the comments are true for either) gets removed and you can't sync between Source and Preview.

herbs at wideopenwest.com