[OS X TeX] TeX Live Utility: is the tlmgr an alternative?

Elliott Roper elliott at yrl.co.uk
Sat Feb 6 12:34:55 EST 2021

> On 6 Feb 2021, at 15:09, Richard Koch <koch at uoregon.edu> wrote:
>
> I appreciate this explanation, which is clearly from someone with a "Macintosh persuasion". Thanks.
>
> However, the details aren't quite correct. TeXShop has been signed with a hardened runtime and notarized from the moment Apple required that, so TeXShop was indeed installed by MacTeX 2020. However, there is no way a notarized installer could "sneak unnotarized applications on each user's Mac." TeX Live Utility and LaTeXiT were usually there after installation because they remained from a previous installation. Brand new users had to download them separately. This problem goes away in 2021.

Thanks for  letting me off so lightly. My Tex Live Utility set up may well be older than 2020. I vaguely remember there were extra instructions for installing extras in Applications. Maybe it was much earlier than 2020, although Finder's get info showed its date as 20 April 2020

I thought was updating itself as I used it.

"critical infrastrucuture update required" appeared to trigger a new version download, but it must have been freshening up tlmgr for which I now understand it acts as a gui front end.

Anyhow I did 'check for updates' and it did (via a 'crash' - but it worked)

I don't use TexShop very much, but I did help my sister in Australia write a book with it. My version in Applications/TeX is currently 4.44 which I updated to on 26-Apr-2020. That would have been when I was out there to help with the final publication. I am now on 4.58 <grin> (My excuse for TeXShop foot-dragging is I am heavily engaged with Aquamacs Emacs for other development, so AucTex is my major mode for LaTeX)

This might explain my arrogant advice. Everything to do with MacTeX 'just works'. I thought what I was seeing was normal.

Elliott Roper
+44 7454 402200 mobile, facetime
01663 747334 UK landline