[OS X TeX] TeX and DVI in beamer problem

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Feb 27 15:52:49 EST 2021

> On Feb 27, 2021, at 2:18 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 27, 2021, at 1:34 PM, Roussanka Loukanova <rl.stpuu at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I'm not sure whether I should address this problem to some beamer user list. I'm attuned to this list and hope for help here.
>>
>> I'm getting problems when I run a beamer presentation with:
>> [TeX and DVI]
>> Typeset
>>
>> All beamer boxes get  their shadows in black, and the headers of the theorem-like boxes are covered with black banners.  Below is a test file and its pdf on my MacBook Air, macOS Big Sur V.11.2.2, TeXLife 2020, with everything updated.
>>
>> Let me know whether it would be OK to email the pdf file that i get.
>>
>> I think this problem is specific for TeX and DVI in beamer files. I get the same problem in TeShop and also in Aquamacs by running:
>> LaTeX + dvips+ps2pdf
>> Both TexShop and Aquamacs run tex files with drawings finley, correspondingly via:
>> TeX and DVI / dvips+ps2pdf
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Roussanka
>> ====
>> % $Header$
>>
>> \documentclass{beamer}
>>
>> \mode<presentation>
>> {
>>  \usetheme{Warsaw}
>> }
>>
>> \title{My Title}
>>
>> \author{My Name}
>>
>> \date{Workshop X}
>>
>> \begin{document}
>>
>> \maketitle
>>
>> %{
>> \begin{frame}{\small HELLO!}
>>
>>  \begin{exampleblock}{Test Example}
>>   Hello again!
>> \end{exampleblock}
>>
>> \begin{theorem}[Test Theorem]
>>  test
>> \end{theorem}
>> \end{frame}
>> %}
>> \end{document}
>> ====
>> Roussanka
>
> Howdy,
>
> Works fine with pdflatex but not with latex->dvipd->ps2pdf. This is with gs 9.53.3.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> herbs at wideopenwest.com

Howdy,

The problem is with transparency. If you can use pdflatex instead of latex->dvips->ps2pdf that will work.

Alternatively, if you use TeXShop, please download the GhostsciptTransparencyEngines.zip file from my downlaod site, <https://herbs.github.io> and unzip it. If you need help isntalling the engines let me know.

Once the engines are installed place the line

% !TEX program = latexTR

at the top of the file and typeset using Typeset->Typeset (cmd-T). If you usee the latexmk based engines use

% !TEX program = latexTRmk

at the top of your file and Typeset->Typeset (Cmd-T).

herbs at wideopenwest.com