[OS X TeX] Tabs in TS

Themis Matsoukas tmatsoukas at icloud.com
Sun Feb 28 13:03:45 EST 2021

> On Feb 28, 2021, at 12:00 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>

> Hmmm... I didn't realize that preference was set by default. I've turned it off.
>
> Then I open eight files 1--8.tex which have different contents and merge them into a single window with eight tabs. I usually run into a problem if I click on the right-most tab or on the left-most tab; the contents and file don't switch but the tab does when I click on another tab. Other combinations of clicks seem to switch properly (of course I haven't tested all permutations).
>
> If I switch tabs one by one using Window->Show Previous/Next Tab it works.
>
> By the way, I've set up keyboard shortcuts for Show Previous/Next Tab, Move Tab to New Window and Merge All Windows.

I should explain what I do and what I see:

1. I am set up to use tabs in all apps

2. I have a source (beamer) file that inputs 7 individual frames as separate files. In my case the individual files are named L20-1.tex through L20-7.tex. (If it makes any difference, the title slide is produced by the source file; file L20-X.text produces slide with page # X.)

3. I launch TS by clicking on the source file. This opens up the source as a single tab and also the PDF window.

4. I open additional source files by command-click on the pdf (each page in my case is a separate file). This opens up the source files as tabs.

With the preference "Open as Tab in Root Window" *unchecked*, everything is normal: the name of the tab and the name of the window that contains all the tabs are in sync. If I activate a tab by clicking on it, the name of the active tab matches the name on the window.

With the preference "Open as Tab in Root Window" *checked*, I see the following:

1. I command click on the slide # 1 on the PDF, which open L20-1.tex. I now have two tabs open, the source file and the first slide and switching through them is normal.

2. I command click on slide #2; this opens L20-2.tex while keeping tab L20-1.tex as the active tab.

3. I activate tab L20-2.tex: this switches the active tab to L20-2.tex but the name of the window remains L20-1.tex.

From here on only the source file is synced between the name that appears on the tab and the name that appears on the window.  If I activate tab L20-1.tex the window reads L20-2.tex, and if I activate tab L20-2.tex the window reads L20-1.tex.

This behavior is reproducible each time.