[OS X TeX] TeX Live Utility 1.49 fails to update old TeXLive 2019 and leaves it unusable.

George Tourlakis gt at cse.yorku.ca
Fri Jul 9 11:08:40 EDT 2021

Thank you Adam,

I agree. Concerning is the word.

I restored the TeXLive 2019 tree from a backup. It works. Then I looked for

> $ ls /usr/local/texlive/2019/bin/x86_64-darwin/fmt*
>
> should show fmtutil and friends. This one
>
> $ ls /usr/local/texlive/2019/tlpkg/installer/xz
>
> should show an xz binary. Also,
>
> $ ls -L /Library/TeX/texbin
>
> should show a long list of executables.

All came out as you said. Nothing wrong on this count with the pre-update 2019. Yet not only
the “update” failed but it also left the tree in an unusable state. I do not know much about software engineering (I am in the “theory area of CS”) but I suppose that  software ought to be better behaved than this.

See attached TXT file (the experiment you asked for). Everything you said should be, is there (before calling the updater).

Cheers,
George